fbpx Skip to main content

What to Do in an Electrical Emergency

By August 8, 2019No Comments

We all react differently to emergencies, but when it comes to electrical emergencies, it’s important to do so calmly. Knowing what to expect and what you should do in a particular emergency to swiftly and smoothly deal with the situation is key to avoiding further problems. ECS Services NSW understands that its crucial to respond to these cases immediately, which is why we have a 24-hour electrician ready to provide the necessary services. In case of an emergency, here’s what you can do to help the situation:

What Is Considered an Electrical Emergency?

Before you run to the phone to call for an emergency electrician, you should first identify whether your problem is an emergency or not. A flickering TV can be spooky, but they are hardly considered an emergency. Most common emergency situations include:

  • Burning wires
  • Overheated electrical panel
  • Flickering lights in the breaker panel
  • Smoke coming out of a wire or device
  • Fallen power lines
  • A fire

What to Do In An Emergency?

In case you do encounter an electrical emergency, make sure to call for emergency electrical repairs as soon as possible. Afterwards, here’s what you can do:

Fallen Power Lines

If you encounter any fallen power lines, do not touch it and try to stay as far away as possible from the area. If someone has already touched the wire and received an electric shock, call both emergency services and a professional electricity company. While waiting for them to arrive, keep the shocked person warm and lying down.

Appliance Electrical Shock

If someone has received an electrical shock from an appliance or hardware equipment, refrain from touching the person as you may suffer from the shock as well. Quickly unplug the appliance and turn off the main power to avoid any similar incidents. Call for emergency services and keep the injured person as still as possible until the ambulance arrives.

Electrical Fires

Most electrical fires are caused by exposed, overloaded wiring or by storing flammables near a lightbulb or a heat source. One common mistake homeowners do when trying to put out an electrical fire is using water, however, this can only further fuel the fire. Instead, call the fire brigade and use an electrical fire extinguisher if you have one on hand. If not, after calling for help, leave the site immediately to avoid further injury.

Avoid electrical problems with high-quality and well-maintained electrical systems from ECS Services NSW. We also offer emergency electrical repairs to help you deal with difficult situations. Send an enquiry today!

Leave a Reply